Coram’s Fields’ Staff do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge

On Saturday 15th September, our Operations Manager, Heng Khoo, and Fundraising Manager, Marco Greco, set out at 6:30am from Horton in Ribblesdale to take on the 24-mile Yorkshire Dales 3 Peaks Challenge in aid of Coram’s Fields. Under cloudy skies and on wet turf, they tackled the smallest, but steepest of the peaks – Pen Y Ghent, reaching the peak at 7:46am. A good start!


With one down and increased confidence, they descended down into the valley below and marched across the rolling countryside towards Ribbleshead Viaduct, almost three hours later. After a quick coffee and encouragement from the support team, they began the interminable ascent up the second peak, the mountain Whernside – tallest of the three, but with the gentlest incline. Reaching the top at 12:21pm, they had a speedy lunch in the clouds, which enveloped the summit. With rain having fallen the night before and the path all but vanished and broken, the descent from Whernside was far harder and more treacherous than the walk up. Wet mud underfoot provided no traction under their walking boots and both challengers ended up slipping badly on the way down, but fortunately the only thing injured was their pride.


Back down in the valley and with two peaks and over half of the total miles accomplished, they hiked under drizzle to the Old Hill Inn, where the support team were ready to provide encouragement. Setting out towards the last peak, the heavens opened and drenched both Marco and Heng as they walked up hillocks and across marshes towards Ingleborough, the final mountain. Weary and on tired legs, the final ascent to the top, a sheer, near-vertical rise up the mountain, was cruel to experience this far into the challenge. Rising to the top of Ingleborough, the plateau was a complete white-out, and they had to follow silhouettes through the clouds to find the last trig, which they hit at 3:38pm.


By this point, looking at their watches, completing the challenge within 12 hours was comfortably within reach, but it was touch and go whether they could get back to Horton in Ribblesdale within 11 hours. Determined, they proceeded back down as fast as failing legs would carry them, through rocky and muddy terrain. With almost nothing left, they reached Horton in Ribblesdale in 10 hours and 57 minutes – elated, but shattered.


Between them, including Gift Aid, they raised a fantastic £2,854 for Coram’s Fields. A huge thank you to everyone who supported them in their challenge.

Leave a reply